Eurovision Song Contest
So then… semi #1 was a mixture of old Eurovision staples (eg. wind machine, key changes) and its fair share of the ‘what-the-hell-was-that?’ moments.
- Scruffy-bearded Latvians singing “Ask your mother how to bake that cake”
- Lyrical genius from Iceland: “It’s not trigonometry / Inside we’re the same”
- Terrible Albanian dad-rock guitar solo in an even terribler cream roll-neck jumper
- Russian see-saw, Azerbaijani trapeze, Ukrainian giant hamster wheel…
- A new take on Bucks Fizz-style disrobing: that Moldovan girl ripped her own hair off! Let’s hope it grows back by Saturday.
- Montenegro‘s backing dancer: Swan Lake on roller-blades!
And…. a glimpse of Austria‘s bearded lady, whose entry we shall see in the second semi on Thursday.
Get the Lambrini in – I can hardly wait…